Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Murtabak Pita Pancake


Dear : Butterflies

I have  not gone shopping for a week.Translated to my language that means I haven’t had fun for such a long time!!! Well….grocery shopping is almost like wonderland - treasure hunting for me.

Instead, I have been nerve wrecked and emotionally exhausted by projects& exams. On top of that, my immune system did not want to cooperate. I had the worse combinations of flu, stomachache, and stuffy nose, which ultimately  killed my appetite . This is why I havent been able to update this blog.

Recovering from these all, I was left with an empty fridge and left over foods…the main ingredient to make a meal now, is a “wicked idea”. When I opened the fridge, instantly I found familiar ingredients that were just  perfect for making Murtabak. Although a little twist was needed.

Here is what I found when I opened my fridge:

  • 3 slices of whole wheat pita bread which later were halved.
  • Bunch of green onion (around 10 stalks), chopped thinly.
  • 5 eggs ( I use 3 yolk and 5 egg whites)
  • Left over of canned tuna and canned corned beef ( how sad, but awesome to build the layers of flavors)
  • Lastly, 400 grams ground beef as my last protein source of the day. I thawed and boiled them to remove their fat since they were not extra lean beef. ( just my preference)

 

Now, I talked about the recipe with a twist. Normally you have to make the dough for the crust.You can check real Murtabak in this website. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtabak

But having pita breads is a fantastic shortcut to the ultimate gluttony!

So goodbye complicatedness and welcome innovation!

 

“The execution”:

  

  • Make sure  ground beef, tuna and corned beef are churned nicely
  • Mix well all ingredients in a bowl besides the pita bread.
  • Add half  of chopped Spanish onion for savory taste ( any red onions)
  • Add pinch of salt, pepers, paprika and 1 tbsp of curry powder ( you can omit the curry powder for Indonesian Martabak).
  • Heat up 100 mL of olive oil in a pan
  • Stuff the pita with the filling and fry when pan is hot
  • Take out of the frying pan when the pita is golden brown and crispy
  • Cool it on top of napkins to absorb the oil
  • Make sure you leave enough space to avoid the crust pilling up and becoming soggy.
  • Ready to serve with hot chili/ sambal or ketchup.

 

This serving is good for 3-4 people.

 

I have to tell you this: I know when you see the frying pan and the oil it sorts of getting away from my usual healthy mealm, but heck…discretionary calories are okay once in a while! Ultimately I think I deserved this treat after a rough week. But remember, moderation is the key and balanced diet is the overall factor for a healthy body!

 

Love to share my thoughts!




Passion + Patience

*Gastrobutterfly*

A food to your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop by and say hello:

FoodBuzz